9/30/2010

Accessing Podcasts for Professional Development

Tech:  Listening to podcasts is a great way to sneak in professional development within your day.  First, identify what you want to view.  Next, you can use your computer to consume it if possible or download it to a mp3 device for your on-the-go listening pleasure.  Here's a video to get you started.



Podcasting in Plain English from leelefever on Vimeo.

Met Ed
I am a newbie at listening to podcasts for professional development.  About three years ago, I had one of my classes create podcasts, but until this summer I never realized how many quality podcasts are availabe for professional development purposes.  I have only been listening to them in this manner for about three weeks now. So far, I find it extremely beneficial and exciting.

Future posts will highlight favorite podcast and webcast episodes.  For now, here are some suggestions to get started:
  • So far, Seedlings is my personal favorite.  It also highlights a variety of tech topics which are relevant to the classroom.  A big plus is that it offers links to most of the web 2.0 tools that are discussed within each episode via Bob Sprankle's blog called Bit by Bit.
  • TED is a must see!  There are many dynamic speakers on this site.
  • EdTechTalk has a variety of topics related to both tech and ed.   
  • Edutopia offers some interesting vodcasts
  • Colorin Colorado! is a site I send my TCE students to view webcasts on ESOL and bilingual ed. issues.  
  • Reading Rockets is a related site with some broader literacy videos and podcasts. 

These are good places to get started in part because you can listen to them on your computer if you are not quite ready to take the step to downloading to a mobile device.  (Speaking from experience, downloading is pretty simple after the first time and offers more flexibility.  I've enjoyed viewing them on my iphone on the plane as well as while at the gym.)  Our networks tab contains links to additional suggested podcasts.

Feel free to share links to your favorite educational podcasts.

Happy listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment